Saturday, January 26, 2013

Lots of Lemonade

"When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed, 
when you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, 
count your many blessings, name them one by one, 
and it will surprise you what the Lord has done."

-"Count Your Blessings," one of my favorite hymns

Life has been handing me a shit ton of lemons lately.  My car is falling apart and needs about $750 in repairs.  One of my cats got sick last week and it's going to run me about $700 to make her better.  My love life continues to stink.  My house is a mess.  I'm behind in everything,  I feel like shit,  I'm exhausted,  depressed, feeling quite alone, and I have really been feeling like the weight of the world might crush me.

But in the last couple of weeks I've been reminded of how much support I really do have.  Without going into detail, I will just say that the generosity and compassion from various friends - some of whom I barely know or have not seen in decades - is absolutely astounding.  My family, small as it might be, is amazing.  My cup of lemonade, so to speak, do runneth over.

I'm not alone.  And in my brief periods of loneliness when I feel like no one cares or is paying attention,  it helps to remember this.  I have people who care, clothes on my back,  a roof over my head, and job(s) to go to.  I have more work coming down the pike, and potential to get ahead if I can just get my head out of my ass and remember that it WILL get better.

And it will.  Pass the lemonade, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment