Monday, December 17, 2012

Prepare for the onslaught

I have a LOT to say in the wake of recent events.  Meanwhile, project deadlines loom (or pass), the mess in my house continues to pile up around me, my pets look at me with bewildered eyes wondering what's got me prone to spontaneous sobbing outbursts,  and all I want to do is write it out.  If I don't, I'm liable to nap my emotions away (one of my coping mechanisms involves what my ex called "fetaling"  - the act of curling up in a fetal position and falling asleep). And so I must write.

Three days ago, a 20-year-old mentally ill Connecticut man - boy, really -  killed his mother with her own gun.  He then drove her car to nearby Sandy Hook elementary school and shot his way in before gunning down the principal, a school psychologist, four teachers, and 20 children between the ages of 5 and 7.   We've all been bombarded with the details of the story, the names and faces of the victims, and a barrage of commentary in response.

I have so much to say that I cannot possibly say it all in one post without risking the loss of my readers' attention.  I have to break it up into segments, and so my next few entries will deal with my response to the tragedy, from the media attention to gun control to mental illness to the unbelievable reactions I'm seeing from people.

Stay tuned.  The Fat Prattler has something to say about all of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment