Thursday, January 19, 2012

Juicy, Juicy Juice

I know I had promised not to make this blog all about my personal life, but I really just need to share this with you all.

Last week I mentioned I'd seen Joe Cross' film Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, and that I was shopping for a juicer. Well, I bought one.

Behold - The Cuisinart CJE-1000 Juice Extractor:


Yeah, baby. I can't say enough great things about it. It's easy to use, and even easier to clean, and it yields a shit-ton of juice. Seriously worth every penny (and then some; I found one on sale for an awesome price - nearly half-price, in fact).

So what have I been making in my juicer of amazing delights? Oh, man. Check it out:


First of all, here's a photo of my fridge and my counter after my initial juicing-ingredient shopping spree:





I bought most of it at the co-op in an effort to keep it organic and local where possible, but some of it also came from the grocery store. My budget is not limitless, after all, much as I wish it were.

What you're looking at is about $70 worth of carrots, kale, spinach, lettuce, beets, celery, apples, oranges, lemons, limes, kiwis, mangos, bananas (which don't juice but I'll explain later), ginger root, pineapples, pears, cabbage, blueberries, and cantaloupe. Oh, and flax seed.

For whatever reason, I opted not to photograph the first day's juices, but I really wish I had. Because I'd had to work so early in the morning I decided to wait until I got home from work to try my juicer out for the first time. I ended up eating a banana to stave off hunger, but I don't think that's a crime. Then when I got home I made a green juice made of kale, celery, lemon, green apple, kiwi, and cucumber. I must say it wasn't bad for my first attempt! And dinner was what I dubbed the "Red Menace" - One beet with greens, 4 carrots, 1 chunk of ginger, a cup of red cabbage, one apple, 5 cups of spinach, and half a lemon. It was pretty amazing, to be honest. Very zippy.

On Day 2, I decided to show everyone what I was doing. I'd made a smoothie at work earlier (I can't bring my juicer to work and was worried that juicing too far ahead would break the nutrients down too much) with a banana, blueberries, and a couple of mangos, but for dinner, I took this:


and turned it into this:


Day 3 started off with the "Breakfast of Champions":


Mid-day I had to stop at the health food store to pick up some other things, and I was starting to feel hungry so I grabbed one of these:


And with the exception of the banana, the almond milk in the smoothie, and the Happy Herb bar, it's been nothing but fruit and vegetable juices for me. I'm rounding out Day 4 now, and I feel...good. I'll save the full commentary and the FAQ's and such for a later post, but so far it's going not so bad!

Also, lest you think I'm writing about this simply to read myself write (which is often the case), I'm doing it because I can't very well sing the praises of healthier eating - or drinking, as it were, if I'm not actually doing it, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment